Yummy Easy Totally Fabulous Quinoa Muffins
Lucky me, I don’t have to go into work today! Thank you, Presidents!
Besides spending some major QT with my puppy, bathed in Bitter Apple Spray (I’m sure you puppy owners know exactly what that is!) I’m using this morning to bake my most favoritist Banana Quinoa Muffins. I’ve been making these like crazy lately because they’re filling and easy to grab on my way to class.
I’m sure I’ve posted this recipe before, but it’s special, and hey, this is MY blog, so here we go again.
One word of advice: Make sure you rinse the quinoa first in a fine mesh strainer (and I do mean fine). This washing will get rid of bitter outer coat of the grain, called saponins. So wash first, then boil.
Today I am going to add some chocolate chips to this recipe, because hey, everything tastes better with chocolate. Enjoy!
Fabulous Banana Quinoa Muffins
3/4 cup quinoa
2 medium bananas, peeled and mashed
1/2 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
1/2 cup real maple syrup (honey or sugar)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup pecans or walnuts, chopped
1/3 cup golden raisins
1/2 cup all-purpose flour (unbleached)
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1.5 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
pinch of salt
1. Rinse quinoa thoroughly. Put quinoa and 1.5 cups water in medium pot. Bring it to a boil over high heat, cover and reduce the heat to low. Cook for 18-20 min. Turn off and let it stand for 10 minutes, covered. Yields approx 2 cups.
2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Butter and flour one 12- muffin pan
3. In a large bowl combine the mashed bananas, eggs, yogurt, maple syrup and vanilla extract. Mix to combine. Add 2 cups cooked quinoa, pecans and raisins. Mix and set aside.
4. In another bowl, whisk together the flour, whole wheat flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
5. Add the flour mixture to the banana mixture and mix just until combined.
6. Fill each muffin tin with 1/3 cup of the batter.
7. Bake for 25-28 minutes or until brown. Remove from the oven and let muffins cool in the an for 12 minutes. Release the muffins from the pan and allow them to cool on a wire rack